Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson

ARC, 435 pages
Release Date: May 22, 2018
Published by: Katherine Tegen
Read from: May 13-17, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: TxLA
For fans of:  Contemporary, Mystery, Thriller, Romance, Realistic Fiction, Diverse Reads, Diverse Authors, YA

     A gripping, relentless, and timely new novel from critically acclaimed author of Allegedly, Tiffany D. Jackson, about the complex mystery of one teenage girl’s disappearance and the traumatic effects of the truth.
     Monday Charles is missing, and only Claudia seems to notice. Claudia and Monday have always been inseparable—more sisters than friends. So when Monday doesn’t turn up for the first day of school, Claudia’s worried. When she doesn’t show for the second day, or second week, Claudia knows that something is wrong. Monday wouldn’t just leave her to endure tests and bullies alone. Not after last year’s rumors and not with her grades on the line. Now Claudia needs her best—and only—friend more than ever. But Monday’s mother refuses to give Claudia a straight answer, and Monday’s sister April is even less help.
     As Claudia digs deeper into her friend’s disappearance, she discovers that no one seems to remember the last time they saw Monday. How can a teenage girl just vanish without anyone noticing that she’s gone?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Having missed her debut last year, when the reviews started rolling in, I knew that I had missed out on something really good. Because of that, I added this to my TBR and vowed that I would NOT miss this one. And let me tell you, I'm glad I didn't. This has already claimed my spot as the #1 thriller of 2018. 
"How can a whole person, a kid, disappear and no one say a word? Like, if the sun just up and left one day, you'd think someone would sound an alarm, right? But Ma used to say, not everyone circles the same sun. I never knew what she meant by that until Monday went missing."
pg. 1
     Monday is missing and her best friend Claudia seems to be the only one concerned. She has no idea what's going on and why no one will listen to her. Claudia goes through these months without Monday and has to withstand bullies, schoolwork, looks, and a first love. She knows that she has to do something to bring Monday home, because no one else seems to even notice she's gone.
"Breadcrumbs, Claudia. Always good to leave breadcrumbs."
pg. 8
    I heard in her last book there was a WTF ending, but those warnings still didn't prepare me for the one in this book. Jackson has a way of hooking you into her writing and I can honestly say I was hooked from page one. I HAD to find out what had happened to Monday, but I was not prepared for it. I thought I had an idea and I ended up not having a clue! This was the first sign that I loved this book and her writing style. 
"...just cause someone got a roof, don't make it a home. We don't have everything, but we have a lot to be grateful for."
pg. 185
     As for the plot, it was a bit all over the place and kinda scattered, but it didn't bother me because that's what a thriller or mystery does... Confuses you. It makes you think one thing when another thing is happening right under your nose. It definitely made me want to go back and find where I may have missed some of the information. 
"You good for taking other's burdens and making them your own."
pg. 218
    As for the characters, I really loved Claudia. She was so strong and so resilient. I felt so bad for her so many times and I wanted so bad to get people to leave her alone. She had such a tough time without Monday and they were wrong for preying on her. So sad. 
"Rumors are born with legs that can run a mile in less than a minute. Rumors eat up dreams without condiments. Rumors do not have expiration dates. Rumors can be deadly. Rumors can get you killed."
pg. 244
    I have already requested her debut novel so that I can read that one too. This was relatable and heartbreaking and super creepy all in one. Any book that can play on my emotions like that deserve to be read and loved by everyone. I hope you all love this one as much as I do! And for now, there's still time to pre-order! Go do it now! 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,