The Wish Granter by C.J. Redwine

e-Audio, 9 hours
Release Date: February 14, 2017
Published by: Balzer + Bray
Read from: November 9-11, 2017
Ravenspire, #2
Source:  Library/ Overdrive
For fans of: Magic, Romance, 



     The world has turned upside down for Thad and Ari Glavan, the bastard twins of Súndraille’s king. Their mother was murdered. The royal family died mysteriously. And now Thad sits on the throne of a kingdom whose streets are suddenly overrun with violence he can’t stop.
     Growing up ignored by the nobility, Ari never wanted to be a proper princess. And when Thad suddenly starts training Ari to take his place, she realizes that her brother’s ascension to the throne wasn’t fate. It was the work of a Wish Granter named Alistair Teague who tricked Thad into wishing away both the safety of his people and his soul in exchange for the crown.
     So Ari recruits the help of Thad’s enigmatic new weapons master, Sebastian Vaughn, to teach her how to fight Teague. With secret ties to Teague’s criminal empire, Sebastian might just hold the key to discovering Alistair’s weaknesses, saving Ari’s brother—and herself.
     But Teague is ruthless and more than ready to destroy anyone who dares stand in his way—and now he has his sights set on the princess. And if Ari can’t outwit him, she’ll lose Sebastian, her brother…and her soul.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     The first time I tried reading this I think I was still in school and it was just a little too slow. So, I waited until my library got it as an audiobook and OMG THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING.
     I remember being iffy because I wasn't a fan of the drug that was in the book, but had I just kept reading, I would've seen that it wasn't even a huge part of the book. Well it was, but Redwine did not make it something that completely stood out in the story. Because of that, I was able to keep listening and I actually really liked it.
     I am a huge fan of retellings, but when I heard about this one being a Rumpelstilskin retelling, I was kind of worried. I was never a fan of the original tale, but this was a bit of a darker take.And the darker it got, the more I liked it. However, I would have liked to see more of the gold in the story. There was only mention of it once, which is partly why I didn't feel like it was much of a retelling. But for the most part, I still liked it.
     There aren't many books that I find myself going back to read, but this one kept calling to me. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to see what else happens in the next book in this series!
   Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , ,