Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith


I don't normally talk about the audio books I listen to because most of them are backlist, but I really want to start! So, I'm starting Listen Up to write short reviews on the books that I listen to! 
Audio, 10.5 hours
Release Date: May 2, 2017
Published by: Delacorte Press
Read from: August 7-15, 2017
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
For fans of: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Audio, Stand-alone, Romance, YA


     Let luck find you.
     Alice doesn’t believe in luck—at least, not the good kind. But she does believe in love, and for some time now, she’s been pining for her best friend, Teddy. On his eighteenth birthday—just when it seems they might be on the brink of something—she buys him a lottery ticket on a lark. To their astonishment, he wins $140 million, and in an instant, everything changes.
     At first, it seems like a dream come true, especially since the two of them are no strangers to misfortune. As a kid, Alice won the worst kind of lottery possible when her parents died just over a year apart from each other. And Teddy’s father abandoned his family not long after that, leaving them to grapple with his gambling debts. Through it all, Teddy and Alice have leaned on each other. But now, as they negotiate the ripple effects of Teddy’s newfound wealth, a gulf opens between them. And soon, the money starts to feel like more of a curse than a windfall.
     As they try to find their way back to each other, Alice learns more about herself than she ever could have imagined…and about the unexpected ways in which luck and love sometimes intersect.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     This is the second "big lottery win book" that I've read that I was not a huge fan of. I've come to the realization that I guess they're just not my cup of tea. This had the potential to be really good, but I just couldn't get over some parts of it. 
     Like the glaringly obvious part I couldn't get over was the narrator. I'm sorry, but I just could NOT handle her switching her voice to make the "male voices" deeper. Because in the end, it literally sounded all the same anyways. Had she just read them all the same or even just gotten a man to do the male parts, it could have been so much better. But it was so hard to NOT think about it when I was listening to it. 
     Then there was the romance. Teddy was so DEAD SET on making everyone else happy, but was content to let her be there unhappy? I just didn't understand what she saw in him. And dude he was SO. ANNOYING. Almost everything he said was eye-roll worthy to me. I just didn't see them as a couple so the characters never really gelled to me. 
     The only thing that kept me reading listening (?) was parts of the plot. I really wanted to see things with a certain someone else pan out and I really wanted to know if she would make another choice about a certain thing in her life. It wasn't predictable (well to me anyways) so that was good, but it wasn't enough for me to look over everything else. 
     I cannot tell you how upset I was that I didn't fully love this. I had wanted to read this for a very long time, but I have to say I wasn't as happy with it as I had hoped. I really wanted to love this one as much as her others, but it just wasn't for me. 
Overall, I give this
 

Labels: , , , , ,