Shadowshaper by Daniel Jose Older


I don't normally talk about the audio books I listen to because most of them are backlist, but I really want to start! So, I'm starting Listen Up to write short reviews on the books that I listen to! 
Audio, 6 parts
Release Date: June 30, 2015
Published by: Arthur A. Levine Books
Read from: June 11-14, 2017
Shadowshaper, #1
Source: Library 
For fans of: Series, 


     Cassandra Clare meets Caribbean legend in SHADOWSHAPER, an action-packed urban fantasy from a bold new talent.
     Sierra Santiago was looking forward to a fun summer of making art, hanging out with her friends, and skating around Brooklyn. But then a weird zombie guy crashes the first party of the season. Sierra's near-comatose abuelo begins to say "Lo siento" over and over. And when the graffiti murals in Bed-Stuy start to weep.... Well, something stranger than the usual New York mayhem is going on.
     Sierra soon discovers a supernatural order called the Shadowshapers, who connect with spirits via paintings, music, and stories. Her grandfather once shared the order's secrets with an anthropologist, Dr. Jonathan Wick, who turned the Caribbean magic to his own foul ends. Now Wick wants to become the ultimate Shadowshaper by killing all the others, one by one. With the help of her friends and the hot graffiti artist Robbie, Sierra must dodge Wick's supernatural creations, harness her own Shadowshaping abilities, and save her family's past, present, and future.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I'm not sure why this book didn't originally make it to my TBR. To be honest, I just plucked it off the shelf from the library I work at because I needed something to listen to at my desk while I was planning stuff. Whatever the case may be, I'm glad I decided to listen to it. 
     Sierra is a normal girl who live in Brooklyn and likes to paint. Until a dude from the Walking Dead comes and busts up her friend's party. After running away, she finds out about Shadow Shapers who connect with the living world through different arts. She thinks there's no way that its real. Until she realizes that it's more real than she thinks... 
     What first drew me to this book was the mention of the Caribbean legend. I love finding out things about different cultures and this was right up my alley.I loved finding out new things through Sierra's character and I loved all the rich, culture that was displayed throughout the story.
     Speaking of which, Sierra and her family, Robbie, and everyone just felt so real. I know that's one of the most cliche things to say, but it's true. I really loved the way she was there to I connected to them. As if I was really in their group of friends. From the way they talked to the way they handled their business, they all felt so real and well rounded. 
     I also thought this book was very well written. I started out listening to it in my car, but it got to the point where I had to bring it in to work and listen while I was planning things because I couldn't stop listening to it. And the narrator is Anika Noni Rose so that was even more amazing. And then there were times where she actually sung some parts of the book which made it SO MUCH BETTER. 
     This book was already good, but pair a great story with a great narrator and amazing characters, and you have an absolutely unforgettable book.  I can't believe I waited this long to read this. But now that I have read it, I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,