Lucky in Love by Kasie West

ARC, 333 pages
Release Date: July 25, 2017
Published by: Scholastic
Read from: July 23-24, 2017
Stand-alone
Source:  #BooksforTrade (Thank you Miss Print!) 
For fans of: Contemporary Romance, Sparkly Covers, Realistic Fiction, YA 


     Can’t buy me love…
     Maddie’s not impulsive. She’s all about hard work and planning ahead. But one night, on a whim, she buys a lottery ticket. And then, to her astonishment—
     She wins!
     In a flash, Maddie’s life is unrecognizable. No more stressing about college scholarships. Suddenly, she’s talking about renting a yacht. And being in the spotlight at school is fun…until rumors start flying, and random people ask her for loans. Now Maddie isn’t sure who she can trust.
     Except for Seth Nguyen, her funny, charming coworker at the local zoo. Seth doesn’t seem aware of Maddie’s big news. And, for some reason, she doesn’t want to tell him. But what will happen if he learns her secret?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     First let me say, I LOVED the premise. I'm not sure why this premise has been popping up lately, but I'm all here for it. And I'm glad there's teens that are winning. It teaches them the value of money and trust. Especially this book. Because although there were some things I was happy with her doing, for the most part I wanted to scream at her.
"There's something to be said about life education. Books can't teach you everything."
pg. 71
     Maddie's life isn't one to write home about. She has two friends and a home life that's faling apart. One day she takes a risk and buys a Lottery ticket even though she's skeptical. She ends up hitting the jackpot! Her life immediately changes, and Maddie realizes that it's not so easy to recognize her true friends... Including a cute coworker of her's....
"You are my hero. [...] Like super-rich hero. Like Batman. Or Tony Stark."
pg. 75
     For the most part, I DID like this. BUT, there was one thing that kept me from really falling for it.... Maddie. There were so many times I wanted to yell at her for what she was doing. Granted this was her money and she was a teen, so I knew she would go a little crazy, but that's just it. I thought it would be A LITTLE. I expected her to do all of these things, BUT she had to go over the top. And because of that I wanted to yell at her. 
"It's amazing what money will do."
pg. 119
     Another thing that kept me from completely falling for this one was the romance. It felt like it was tacked on a the end. There isn't much focus on it until the end. It left me wanting more. As soon as it started the book was over. I've come to realize that West's novels are more about being a contemporary than a romance. 
"I believe in making our own luck. [...] But a tailsman now and again can help motivate us."
pg. 135
     However, as always, I did like the writing style. Kasie West can always win me over with her words. I wasn't completely convinced from the characters, but the premise and the writing style helped me to read this book in about 24 hours. I have been a fan of her's since her first book! I can't wait to see what else she comes up with!
"I can't avoid every place where people say ignorant things. I wouldn't have anywhere to go."
pg. 292
     Although some things kept me from falling head over heels for this one, it did not stop me from reading it in a day. This book will make you laugh and will bring up the question: What would YOU do with that amount of money? 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,