#famous by Jilly Gagnon

e-ARC, 384 pages
Release Date: February 14, 2017
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Read from: January 9- February 11, 2017 
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
For fans of: Romance, Chick-lit, Contemporary,  Realistic Fiction, Social media, YA 

     In this modern-day love story, Girl likes Boy, Girl takes photo of Boy and posts it online, Boy becomes accidentally insta-famous. And what starts out as an innocent joke spirals into a whirlwind adventure that could change both their lives—and their hearts—forever. But are fame and love worth the price?
     Told in alternating points of view, #famous captures the out-of-control thrill ride of falling for someone in front of everyone.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     To be 100% honest, the only reason I added this to my TBR was because I liked the title. I could tell it was going to be something about social media and although I thought it was going to be supremely "dated" later, I knew it would be interesting.
"I'm digging what they're serving up at Burger Barn today. #idlikefrieswithTHAT"
5%
     Rachel and her friend play a game on a social media site all the time where someone takes a picture and tags the other in it. So it's just a routine thing when Rachel does it again, taking a picture of a really cute guy. But the this time everything is different. Mo "re-Flits" it and people begin "re-Flitting" it like crazy. And by crazy I mean like 30,000+ people. Told in the alternating points of view of Rachel and Kyle, you get to see what it feels like to be "Flit" Famous.
"Anyway, what can I get you, Rachel from writing class?" he said. You shirtless, on a stallion."
5%
     I really loved the way it was centered on social media . I know I said it would date it, but that's only because I didn't know what it was about. This one isn't actually about any specific site, but rather one Gagnon made up. To me, this makes it easy to be relevant, without having to make sure that site stays around. The inclusion of social media and the hastag in the title will bring teens (or big kids at heart like me) to this book. Add on to the fact that this actually happened before (y'all remember that dude Alex from Target lol) and you can see why I changed my mind about it Now I just see it as relevant and hilarious.
"But don't you get it? Going home and doing nother is a risk too. You can't lose that way, but you can't win."
69%
     However, I wasn't a fan of the characters. They were of course good enough to keep me wanting to read the story, but I didn't like them. Which is weird because I'm normally a character driven reader, but for some reason I didn't mind with this one. Anyways, I wasn't fan of them because I just don't believe that ANYONE is as oblivious as Kyle and NO ONE is as judgey as Rachel. (Especially when she doesn't like that she's being judged.)
"Please don't make me talk about the trolls."
71%
     As for the plot, it was entirely predictible. And by entirely, I mean everything. I knew what was coming and I was from the outside looking in. I'm not sure how the characters didn't lol But I was ok with that because that's what I wanted at that time. I was in the mood for a light and fluffy contemporary romance and it delivered that for me.
"No, snacks are good. I just can't promise to eat my weight in them within the next hour."
72%
     And last, *SPOILER* I could have dealt with a little more of them together since it was a contemporary romance. They were either against each other, fighting, or not together. It would have been nice to see them get a "5 months later" or something. Anything to show that they may have worked.
"Rachel, high school is exactly like a medieval court. Just without swords."
78%
     I'm a huge mood reader and this was exactly what I was in the mood for for Valentine's Day. I needed something cute and adorable and this fit the bill. Thank you Gagnon for being just what I needed.


Labels: , , , , , ,