Caraval by Stephanie Garber

ARC, 408 pages
Release Date: Jannuary 31, 2017
Published by: Flatiron Books
Read from: January 25-30, 2017 
Caraval, #1
Source: Bea 2016
For fans of: Adventure, Magical Realism, Romance, Fantasty, Bombshell Endings, Sparkly Covers, YA 

     Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world . . .
     Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.
     Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.
     But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.
     Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I received this, I hadn't heard much about it. I saw a couple people were excited for it and I was fairly interested and wanted to get it. My excitement towards it gained full steam as it got closer and closer to January and time to finally get to read it. And let me just tell you, it was everything I wanted it to be. And then some.
"Magic like this was only supposed to live in stories, but this dress was very real, leaving Scarlett unsure what to think.'"
Pg. 67
     For years, Scarlett has wanted to be part of the game of Caraval. After hearing about it from her grandmother, she fell under the game's spell and contniuously hoped that one day she would be able to get to go. And then, one day, her invitation comes. Scarlett and her sister Tella escape to play the dangerous game and end up with so much more than they bargained for.
"Dreams that come true can be beautiful, but they can also turn into nightmares when people don't wake up.'"
pg. 77
     Starting with the writing style and prose, I cannot say enough how or in the right words how much I loved it. Everything she wrote I could clearly imagine. It had the perfect imagery. Her writing style immediately sucked me away to Triseda and then all the way to Caraval.
"Inside the house violin music , richer than the darkest chocolate, started playing. It seeped outside and whispered to Scarlett as _____'s smile turned seductive, all shameless curves and immoral promises. An invitation to places that proper young ladies didn't think about, let alone visit."
pg. 87
     I also really loved the way suspense and surprises. There were so many times I assumed I knew something about the plot, but then when it comes down to it, I find out I didn't really know it at all. This kept me on my toes and I can't say that about many books. This was definitely a pleasant surprise.
"People think no one sees all the nasty things they do in the dark."
pg. 309
     The only things that stopped me from giving it a full five stars is two really small things: I wasn't a huge fan of Scarlett. For her wanting to know so much about the world she was so cautious and scared. I wanted her to get brave and risk things so much sooner than she did in the story. And also there was the short information dumps in the beginning. I took a break in the middle of reading this and that helped a bunch. Had I not taken a break, I'm not sure where I would've put this one.
"Hope is a powerful thing' Some say it's a different breed of magic altogether."
pg. 318
     Caraval is so magical and lovely. I can see myself re-reading this in the near future, if nothing else to just have a means of escape from the world. (And homework if I'm being honest! lol)
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , ,