Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

Hardcover,  689 pages
Release Date: September 6, 2016
Published by: Graphix
Read from: September 6-September 16, 2016
Throne of Glass, #5
Source: Bought
For fans of: Fantasy, Romance, Fae, Adventure,  Bombshell Endings, YA

     The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those who don't.
     As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.
     Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     To say I have been anxiously waiting for this book to come out is an understatement. I have been basically salivating for another Maas book after ACOMAF. (I know different series, but that's how much I LOVED that book. I needed more Maas. And quickly.) So, when Empire of Storms was finally close to release I could't be happier. And I'm glad to say for the most part it lived up to my expectations.
"...destroying a symbol can break the spirits of men as much as bloodshed."
pg. 44
     The war has started and Aelin has literally so much to do in not enough time. She has to protect her people and the only way she can see to do that is to request allies from all over. But of course, things are never that easy for Aelin and things get so much worse before they get better. 
"He didn't particularly care to hear her sad story. Everyone had one, he'd found. "
pg. 110
     Ok, so. The best thing about this book had to be hands down the bomb drops. The entire story wasn't exactly fast paced and quick moving, but I wanted to know what happened to the characters, so I had to know what happened. But when I got to the parts in the story where the big news was dropped, I can remember actually cussing out loud because I was so involved in this book. But then I got to the end. It reminded me so much of ACOMAF (highlight for the spoiler.) I mean really, didn't I JUST read that? It just didn't seem creative enough. It caused me to know it was coming and since it wasn't a surprise I didn't enjoy the ending as much as I should've. 
"Magic is a living thing."
pg. 345
     As far as the romance.... Let's just say I'm a happy camper. Y'all know who's Team I've BEEN on. And in this one, the swoonage is real. I really don't see how I managed to read some of these passages at work! And then there was another OTP that I hadn't even seen coming and HOLY CRAP I'M IN LOVE! Say what you want, but Dorian and Manon seem like they could be really amazing together. I can't wait to see what they can do together. 
"Everything has a price."
pg. 397
     Last but not least, as much as I recognized the ending, I really liked when things started "falling into place." It really gave a nice set up for an epic conclusion that I cannot wait for. This war is going to be huge and the quest that someone is on will no doubt be a hard one. Maas has put me on pins and needles with wanting to know what happens next!    
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , ,