The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks

e-ARC, 336 pages
Release Date: March 1, 2016
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (A huge thank you to Edelweiss and the Publisher for allowing me access to this galley. All opinions are my own and their permission to receive this did not sway my opinion in any way.)
For fans of: Survival, Sarcasm, Adventure, Contemporary, Sparkly Cover, Debuts, 


     Some people might say that Denver had a death wish. Why else would she have dared to sneak into a Malibu beach party where she’d be surrounded by enemies, namely including her ex-BFF Abigail?
     Oh yeah. Croix. Denver never thought in a million years he’d ask her out, but who was she to question this miracle of fate? Well, that wasn’t the only surprise fate had in store.
     During the party a tsunami hit the coast of California, wiping out everything in its path. Denver and a handful of others escaped death by holding onto the roof of the house and were swept out to sea. Of course, one of her fellow castaways was none other than Abigail, who could barely stand the sight of her.
     Now that she’s floating in the ocean, stuck on a small boat with the most popular kids in school and waiting to be rescued, Denver wonders what might kill her first-dehydration, sunstroke, or the girl she used to think of as a sister?
     A hilariously dark and twisted story that sparkles with a remarkably fresh voice, The Lifeboat Clique is Kathy Park’s irreverent yet insightful novel about how to survive in the most unthinkable circumstances.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     This was a complete surprise. I really only requested this one because of the cover and someone compared it with Veronica Mars and I knew it had to be mine. I'm so glad I did because I almost missed out on a book that I would have actually enjoyed. 
"But that was the cruelty of fate, whether you were dying at sea or simply trying to get through high school. Sometimes fate kissed you. Sometimes it snubbed you. Sometimes it passed you a love note, and that note was a lie."
2%
     Although this book was about a group of teens afloat out on the sea after the party they're at is hit by a tsunami, that's not all it was about. I loved that there was more back story and we found out about over time. Without the back story the story would have been very shallow with no depth. I was glad Parks gave us the reason behind them hating each other. 
"...I guess that's what I think of all stories. We think we know the limits of them and then we find out there's another story lying right on top of them."
13%
     I also loved the sarcasm and awkward jokes! I feel Denver's struggle exactly because the same thing happens with me and my friends. I get so tired all the time of having to either wait for them to get it or to explain it to them. Also, it made for a really quick, fun read. Although this was a pretty tough subject, it really did help to see that there was a bit of comedic relief. 
"Well, that's the way life goes [...] Sometimes what's  supposed to happen to someone else happens to you."
20%
     The only thing I didn't really care for was the ending. I mean the Lifeboat Clique went through pretty scary ordeal with trying to survive and then all of a sudden the ending just happened?! There was no "struggle" or anything. I thought it was just too abrupt. Like she was trying to hurry up and end it. Maybe it's just me, but I felt it could've been wrapped up a little better. And then the OTHER part of the ending I could have just done without. I think it was a little weird, but that's just me. 
"Survivors can't just sit around and mourn the dead. Survivors have to get up and survive."
89%
     In short, this book is weird, but in a good way. It opened up my eyes to another type of writing style and I'm grateful because I could relate to Denver. I can't wait to see what else Parks has up her sleeve!
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , , ,