The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Hardcover, 491 pages
Release Date: October 6, 2015
Published by: Disney-Hyperion
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1
Source: Own
For fans of: Norse Mythology, LOL, Fantasy, Magic, Sparkly Covers, YA


     Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother's mysterious death, he's lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers. One day, he's tracked down by an uncle he's never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. His uncle tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god. The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years. When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision. Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .

*MY THOUGHTS*

     For me not to know much about Norse mythology and Vikings, I really did like this one. In all honesty, that was what I liked the most. I liked that I was able to learn new things and still enjoy the story at the same time. That's the best part about Riordan's books. And this one did not disappoint. 
"Myths are simply stories about truths we've forgotten."
pg. 27
     Since I didn't know much about Norse mythology, I found myself looking up a lot of the myths. This made the story a little more interesting because it gave me a little back story and explained a little of why the gods acted the way they did. I liked that I was able to learn a little while still enjoying it. And as always, Riordan made it fun, so I was super excited to keep reading. 
"Most important things have names."
pg. 80
     As usual, Riordan's humor is present and it made the story for me. Some of the things Magnus said made me laugh out loud in the weirdest places. I even found myself laughing in the grocery store. (Yes I read while I grocery shop... Don't judge.) It even made my boyfriend stop and ask what it was I was laughing at. When I told him he said this is one he might read. He doesn't read anything. (Just fyi, this is the same dude that Googled what happened to Prim in The Mockingjay because he didn't want to read the book or wait on the second half of the movie...) So clearly, just Riordan and his humor winning him over is a huge deal. 
"Armor does not make victory. Neither do weapons."
pg. 122
     The only thing I didn't enjoy was the way it felt like I'd read it before. There was the quest, the hero, the gods after the hero, those helping the hero, and the enemies that don't like the heroes. I get that it's the same structure for a reason, but at the same time, it's gotten to be cumbersome. And then for it to be another series, it's going to follow the same guidelines as those before. Since the gods are different and the humor is there, I don't really have any complaints, but I would like to see something else. 
"The sword pulsed, almost like it was laughing. I imagined it saying, A pen sword. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard."
pg. 244
     As for the characters, I think I loved Magnus. He was super funny and didn't trust anyone. Exactly how a demigod is supposed to be lol I also loved Sam and her unquestioning loyalty. Add on how diverse this book was and it really made me excited to keep reading and learn so many things about the characters. And of course it was always good to see some of the old characters again. Annabeth was there. I was glad she wasn't around for most of the story because it wasn't her story. I loved that she gave it over the Magnus and let his story be heard. 
"Such is human memory... you forget the truth and believe what makes yo feel better."
pg. 418
     It wasn't' a bad story, but there were some things I wish I could have changed. Although I've felt like I've read the same story over and over again, I will gladly do the same for any other book he writes! 
Overall, I give this


What did you think of this one? 
Have you read any other of Riordan's books? 

Labels: , , , ,