Class Act, Module 15: featuring The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey


As y'all know, I'm a Library Science student at University of North Texas. This semester I have the pleasure of taking an AWESOME class called Literature for Youth! One of the things we have to do is read some books from a list my Prof has provided us and then make up a blog and post reviews over what we've read. CLEARLY this is right up my alley! So, instead of making a completely different blog, every Saturday I'm going to start posting this new feature! 

MODULE 15: 
Censorship

This is my last one of the semester! 
Hope y'all have enjoyed this series!

Kindle e-book, 144 pages
Released: 1997
Published by: Scholastic Paperback
Source: Library (Overdrive)

     Book Summary: Captain Underpants is not your average superhero! Even his "costume" is different from the conventional superhero's. Find out if and how his powers are different in this book of one of his epic adventures!

Reference: 
Pilkey, D. (1997). The adventures of Captain Underpants: An epic novel. New York, NY: Blue Sky Press.

*MY IMPRESSIONS*

     This is a book I wouldn't normally pick up. It just isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I would've been a fan of it when I was younger, but now it just seemed a little crazy. 
     I can see why some adults would want to censor it. There were bathroom jokes, children talking bad about and to authoritative figures, and many other things. Like me, I'm sure there were many adults that didn't find this book interesting but the children would still love it. These are things they would see as funny. 
     One thing I had to remember when reading this was that this book was not written for someone like me. This book was made for children who may find the things they were talking about funny or see the children in the book disobeying and think that it's cool because it's something they can't do, but I didn't think it was funny at all. Not because I thought it would make the children start doing bad things, but because it just wasn't funny to me. 
     
Overall, I give this


Professionals are saying...

Gr 2-4--Pilkey plays with words and pictures, providing great entertainment. The story is immediately engaging--two fourth-grade boys who write comic books and who love to pull pranks find themselves in big trouble. Mean Mr. Krupp, their principal, videotapes George and Harold setting up their stunts and threatens to expose them. The boys' luck changes when they send for a 3-D Hypno-Ring and hypnotize Krupp, turning him into Captain Underpants, their own superhero creation. Later, Pilkey includes several pages of flip-o-ramas that animate the action. The simple black-and-white illustrations on every page furnish comic-strip appeal. The cover features Captain Underpants resplendent in white briefs, on top of a tall building. This book will fly off the shelves.

Retrieved from: 
Hopf, M. M. (1997, December 1). [Review of the book The aventures of Captain Underpants: The first epic novel, by Dav Pilkey]. School Library Journal43(12), 99. Retrieved from www.slj.com.

Library Uses: 

     I would use this one to tell the students to make their own superhero! I'd give them some crafts supplies and tell them to make them as crazy as they could. 

Book Image from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/207266.The_Adventures_of_Captain_Underpants

Labels: