Class Act, Module 14- Poetry featuring Take Me Out of the Bathtub by Alan Katz


As y'all know, I'm a Library Science student at University of North Texas. This semester I have the pleasure of taking an AWESOME class called Literature for Youth! One of the things we have to do is read some books from a list my Prof has provided us and then make up a blog and post reviews over what we've read. CLEARLY this is right up my alley! So, instead of making a completely different blog, every Saturday I'm going to start posting this new feature! 

MODULE 14: 
Poetry

Hardcover,  32 pages
Released: May 1, 2001
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry
Source: Library

     Book Summary: For children that aren't a fan of reading, giving them this book filled with "silly, dilly songs" will completely change their mind. This can make them change their minds about reading once they see how funny these are!

Reference: Katz, A., & Catrow, D. (2001). Take me out of the bathtub and other silly dilly songs. New York, NY: Margaret K. McElderry Books.



*MY IMPRESSIONS*

     This is another module that I was dreading. I haven't been a fan of poetry since high school. (To me, sometimes a blue chair is just a blue chair...) But anyway, the children's portion of this module was so much easier to stomach. 
     In a book of poems llike this, this book would be a great tool to get reluctant readers to read more. With the amount of songs about being smelly and everything else makes this book a great book for boys, or those that think boys should read a certain book. 
     This is also a great book to make them get up and get moving. The poems in this books are already based on different songs, so it would be easy for them to get up and dance and any other moving activities. 
     Children will also love this because of the  rhyming words. After reading this with a couple of five year olds, one of them was asking me to help them write down some words that rhymed. I loved that he was so eager to learn after reading just the one book. 
Overall, I give this

Professionals are saying...

Professional Book Review: Gr 3-5-This hilarious collection goes straight to the heart of playground humor. What made "On Top of Spaghetti" such an integral part of popular culture is what makes these selections so equally successful. Well-known songs like "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean," and "I've Been Working on the Railroad" become-with a wink, a poke, and nod-"Take Me Out of the Bathtub," "The Yogurt Flies Straight from My Brother," and "I've Been Cleaning Up My Bedroom." Some of these transformations are so clever that kids will want to burst into song immediately. Imagine your next patron singing, "Oh give me a break/`Cause I made a mistake/And my library book's overdue" to the tune of "Home on the Range." The watercolor illustrations are equally entertaining, with exaggerated features and situations giving them a cartoon look. "Go Go Go to Bed" depicts an exhausted mom slumped in a chair with toys and a child literally bouncing off the ceiling above her. There's something here to tickle most funny bones.-Jane Marino, Scarsdale Public Library, NY

Retrieved from: Marino, J. (2001, April). [Review of the book Take me out of the bathtub and other silly dilly songs, by Alan Katz]. School Library Journal. Retrieved from http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/book-reviews/4314452/take-me-out-bathtub-other-silly-dilly-songs-book-review

Library Uses: 

     I would use this one in a Two Time Tuesday or something with with preschoolers. As stated, I would call my program "Poetry in Motion. I would use hand signals and dance moves to help them get going and having a good time. I completed this same event with my family and they loved it. I would love to see how it would fare in a library. My fear is it would be too loud. I would only conduct it in a children's room that cold be closed off.  

Labels: