Liars, Inc. by Paula Stokes

e-ARC, 368 pages
Release Date: March 24, 2015
Published by: HarperTeen
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (This book was provided to me through the publishers and Edelweiss. This in no way shaped my opinion of this book. All comments and thoughts of it are my own.)
For fans of: Thrillers, Suspense, Mysteries, Realistic Fiction, Sparkly Covers, A

     For fans of Gone Girl, I Hunt Killers, and TV's How to Get Away with Murder.
     Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money and liven up a boring senior year. With the help of his friends Preston and Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?
     When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn’t think twice about hooking him up. Until Preston never comes home. Then the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead the cops to Preston’s body. Terrifying clues that point to Max as the murderer.
     Can Max find the real killer before he goes to prison for a crime he didn’t commit? In a story that Kirkus Reviews called "Captivating to the very end," Paula Stokes starts with one single white lie and weaves a twisted tale that will have readers guessing until the explosive final chapters.

*MY THOUGHTS*

      Honestly, this is the best YA thriller I've read in a long time! With all the twists and turns and all the lying and everything, it was so good. I got so engrossed in it that I didn't even notice I was close to the end. When i decided to make my guess of who the culprit was, I was only a couple of pages away from them telling me!
"Everybody lies. You might as well get paid for it."
67% (e-ARC)
     Max is a kid that stays in trouble. No matter what, the worst situations always seem to find him. So instead of just getting in trouble and letting it blow over, he starts a business called Liars, Inc with the help of his friends. But then things start to get out of hand when one of his friends turns up missing and they believe it to be because of the stupid business they've started. But as things get more and more serious and the police get involved, Max needs to decide whether keeping his friends safe is more important than letting the police find out about his new business.
"I know tou're eighteen now, and that you don't think you need a mom, but that doesn't mean I don't need my son."
68% (e-ARC)
     The thing I love most about thrillers is the amount of twists and turns in the plot. I love when something happens and it completely catches me off guard. That's how most of this book was. I was super creeped out by a lot of the things that Max did and add Parvati into it, things just got weirder. Everything and everyone in this book was NOT what they said they were,EVERYONE was lying. And I think that's what made it so much easier to be shocked by what happened. I had no idea what was going on and anything that happened always made me ask more questions.
"Faith seems to be something people develop when their lives are going good. It's always been in short supply for me."
78% (e-ARC)
    Even with all the surprises I was able to catch the killer. But, at the same time, my theory was completely off base. I thought it was for a different reason, but when that person decided to actually tell them who it was and why they did it, I was still shocked. I had no idea. I only got it right because I had a really good guess.
"When you care about someone, you can't just turn that off because you learn they betrayed you."
93% (e-ARC)
     This book got me by saying it was for fans of How to Get Away With Murder, and I'm definitely glad I gave it a chance. This is my first novel by Stokes and now it certainly won't be my last!
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,