One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin

e-ARC, 368 pages
Release Date: February 10, 2015
Published by: Spencer Hill Press
Stand-alone
Source: Netgalley  (A huge thank you to both the publisher and Netgalley. This galley was provided to me in exchange for a just and honest review. I received no type of compensation for getting this galley.)
For fans of: Romance, Chick-lit, LOL, Sparkly Covers, Contemporaryy Romance, YA

     Tomboy to the core, Toni Valentine understands guys. She'll take horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. So Toni is horrified when she's sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, where she has to wear a skirt and learn to be a lady while the guys move on without her.
     Then Toni meets Emma Elizabeth, a girl at school with boy troubles, and she volunteers one of her friends as a pretend date. Word spreads of Toni’s connections with boys, and she discovers that her new wealthy female classmates will pay big money for fake dates. Looking for a way to connect her old best friends with her new life at school, Toni and Emma start up Toni Valentine’s Rent-A-Gent Service.
     But the business meets a scandal when Toni falls for one of her friends--the same guy who happens to be the most sought-after date. With everything she's built on the line, Toni has to decide if she wants to save the business and her old life, or let go of being one of the guys for a chance at love.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I chose to read this based on the same reason as everyone else, I was a tomboy growing up (Even now it's hard to get me in a dress or skirt.) but went through that awkward stage where I was finding out about boys. I'm just happy that I didn't have to go through the things Toni did lol 
     Toni would much rather be made "snips, snails, and puppy dog tails" and she will remind everyone she's with all the time. From mooning people, to belching and laughing about it, she was definitely more comfortable around her friends. But then her family sends her to a different school; a school that makes her wear uncomfortable clothees and try to be something she's not. Well something she's not supposed to be. But then she joins a friend and they make up a dating service. Everything is fine. Well until Toni falls for one of the people she's supposed to be setting people up with....
     When I found out about this one I was super excited. The last book like this I really loved so I was expecting this one to be the same way. But unfortunately it boiled down to execution. For example, I can understand that they started hanging out when they were little, but that opening scene of them still monster watching and they were about to be juniors? Ummmm. Yeah. It just made them seem not only young, bur still impressionable and crazy. I could see it going down hill for me from there. 
     Since I could relate to Toni, the story wasn't completely lost on me. I liked that she was one to be herself completely and didn't let anyone persuade her to act differently. She was herself throughout the entire story, but just came to be more refined as the story went on. The only thing I didn't like about it was everything seemed so forced. Like she seemed to be trying too hard to want to fit in. But then as she became more lady like, she was still forcing things. 
     As for the romance, it was funny to see her in that situation and the way she adapted. In the end I wasn't really that invested into finding out whether or not they were happy or if they would stay together. The romance was ok, but nothing I was absolutely swooning over.
     This is something that I was expecting to really love based on the fact that I loved something along the same lines before. I guess I have learned my lesson, not everything is the done the exact same way.  
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , ,