Wicked by Jennifer Armentrout

Kindle e-Book, 371 pages
Release Date: December 8, 2014
Published by: 
A Wicked Saga, #1
Source: Bought
For fans of: Sparkly Covers, New Adult, Fae, Paranormal,  Romance


Things are about to get Wicked in New Orleans. 
     Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn’t your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren’t the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart.
     Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her.
     But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul.

TAKE ME AWAY...AFTER DARK!

*This book is part of the new adult contemporary romance genre! It is more mature than both MG & YA. I have featured it in Take Me Away... After Dark as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read!"

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I hate how cliche this sounds, but seriously this will be one of the hardest reviews I've ever written. Y'all know how much I ADORE JLA.. I mean she created my most favorite book boyfriend of all time: Aiden. So when I say I wasn't a fan of this book, it really hurts even me. 
"'Freedom to live without fear. Freedom to make our own choices. Freedom to thrive."
5%
     Ivy is apart of an organization called The Order and they exist to take out the fae. She gives her all to them after losing everyone she held dear to them years ago. But then, weird things start happening in New Orleans... Things that no regular fae should be able to do. This is where things start getting Wicked. 
"'A good warrior knew when to retreat, and this was totally one of those moments."
 7%
     First let's start with the fae. I'm normally not a fan of fae books, but I was hoping that JLA could be the one to finally get me to start liking them. But even she couldn't get me to like them. Her story started out all info dumpy and told us all about what Ivy was doing and why all at once. And then the myths about the fae were all clumped together as well. It just felt like a little much at times. Pair that with me already not being a fae fan, I wasn't happy.  
"'I like the way you feel against me"
29%
     I also wasn't happy with the plot. I was so excited to read a New Adult paranormal, but it was so predictable it took away from my excitement. As soon as they mentioned what the plot points might be, I knew exactly who it would be. Both times. I think I would have been more into it if I got to the end and it was someone else. The shock value would've made me like it so much more. 
"'The Order wants to remember the fallen as they were before, all that they have given, and not what remains once the greatest sacrifice for freedom has been made."
47%
     I did like the characters tho. Well  most of them. Ren and Ivy were ok. But Tink was so annoying. I can see why everyone else may have liked him, but there were times I wanted her to just flick him away because he was getting on my nerves. Although a lot of what he said wasn't funny to me, there were times where I did laugh though. Don't want to make it seem like I hated him. He was just annoying. 
"'The world as I knew it was different."
48%
     As for the romance, that was the reason I didn't DNF this. I loved Ren and Ivy together. Ren was super hot (what JLA book boy isn't?) and Ivy was a kick ass female. Any part with them together made me smile and swoon. Any book boy that isn't afraid to tell his girl that he really likes them makes me a huge fan, so I'll just say I'm very happy with this romance.
"'Everyone dies."
48%
     In short, I was not very happy with this one and i don't feel like this was JLA's best work. I will of course be continuing the series in hopes that it gets better. I;m glad there were other people that liked it, but I'm still disappointed.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,