The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

E-book, 448 pages
Release Date: March 4, 2014
Published by: Bloomsbury Children
Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5
Source: Library
For fans of: High Fantasy, Novellas, YA


Contains all five novellas.
     Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

*MY THOUGHTS* 

     I'd heard so many things about this series but since I've never been a huge fantasy person, I didn't think this would be something I'd want to read. But all the fans of this series were saying that this series would be a good one to start easing into the genre with, so I decided to give it a try.
     After reading The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, I wasn't exactly impressed. I mean she was super cool because she was a reader, she was kicking everyone's ass, and because she stood up for what she believed in, but I just thought there was something off about her. I'm thinking it was just because she was so arrogant. I like that she knew she was good, but at the same time, knowing that you're good may sometimes be a bad thing. Other than that, the writing style was great and the action scene was super good as well. I couldn't wait to continue on with the rest of the series. Especially to find out more about Arobynn and Sam. There was a time I was thinking there wouldn't be any swoons in this since they were novellas, but as the book went on I could see why she ended putting them all together. It made sense to read them straight through.By itself I would rate it 4 stars.
     The Assassin and the Healer wasn't that great to me either. Just because the action wasn't the most prevalent thing. But we did get another taste of the type of person that Celaena is. She helped that poor lady without really knowing her. Even though in the beginning she really didn't want to. She may have seemed selfish and arrogant in the first novella, but after all the run ins with Arobynn and what all he's doing to her, she's letting her true colors shine through. We also see what kind of person Arobynn is as well. He basically put her out after taking her in nine years earlier. I can understand that he would do that as a type of father figure, but at the same time, what he does BEFORE he puts her out was not cool. We also meet the daughter of a Healer in this one. I hope to see that she makes it in to the actual books because I would love to see if she made it to her destination and accomplished all that she wanted to. By itself I would give this 3 stars.
     The Assassin and the Desert was by far my favorite. It contained all the bad assery and the cool sword fighting I had heard all about this series. And it also contained all the twists and turns EVER. lol There were so many times I found myself open mouthed in disbelief. I just couldn't believe that these people would do these things to her. Celaena really has the worst luck. Everyone she trusted was turning against her. (*MILD SPOILER*) Arobynn beat her until she was unconscious and then put her out to find her way to a desert?! Talk about harsh punishment. Yes I admit what she did was a little reckless, but at the same time, he didn't even try to see why she did it? Like you have no compassion or remorse? Well guess not if you did that to both her AND Sam. Their punishments were way over the top. And then there was Ansel. I'll just leave that rant alone so I won't spoil anything else. By itself, I would give this 5 stars.
     The Assassin and the Underworld is where Arobynn's true colors start coming out. He gives Celaena another assignment that has to do with the slave trade, and Celaena thinking her punishment is over and fulfilled thinks nothing of it. She thinks she will be helping them to be freed. In the end, that is not what happens. It's just another way for Arobynn to get back at her. He hasn't had enough revenge yet? geez, it's only so much you can do to get back at someone lol But in this novella, there's also something that makes me smile. Sam. His love for Celaena becomes more noticeable.He finally makes her understand that even though he's never said anything all those years, he's loved her all that time. Even though this makes Celaena very happy, this does not bode well with Arobynn. He gets even more vindictive than ever. By itself, I would give this, 4 stars.
     The Assassin and the Empire is the last novella, so natually, this is where all the shit hit the fan. Celaena makes enough money to finally rid herself of Arobynn and she does. But then something comes up and she sees that Abroynn is basically still tearing her and Sam down. She gives up her horse to pay Sam's debt to him and they move in together. Everytrhing is going fine, but with them still tied to the Guild, they have no choice but to still take orders from Arobynn. Finally they are able to free themselves, but it comes with a hefty price. That price being her entire bank account. This means Sam and Celaena must take another job before they are able to leave or even keep surviving. They get a job to take out the highest person in the empire. Now doesn't that sound suspicious? Of course it was. It was all a setup. Both of them are captured and Celaena is sent to jail. Hence the reason she begins book one (Throne of Glass) as she's released from prison. This is another one I loved due to all the twists and turns. I can't wait to dive into Throne of Glass when I get the chance. I'm already having sword wielding dreams lol smh By itself, I would give this 4 stars.
     So after all my dreams about the series already, I think it's safe to say I can't wait to dive into Celaena's world again. I've heard the beginning is pretty slow, but that's how the novellas were as well. Which makes me glad I read these first. I'm a little more prepared for it now. My first journey into fantasy actually went surprisingly well! I can't wait to get caught up in the series!
Overall, I give this

Labels: , ,