The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings

ARC, 398 pages
Release Date: June 10, 2014
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
The Murder Complex, #1
Source: Won at Montgomery County Book Festival
For fans of: Mystery, Thrillers, Dystopias, Romance

     An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate.      For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.
Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.
     The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?
     Action-packed, blood-soaked, and chilling, this is a dark and compelling debut novel by Lindsay Cummings.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I was introduced to this book, I was told it had someone who cleaned up dead bodies and someone else who kept killing them. After hearing that, I just KNEW I was going to love this. It sounded like it had just the right amount of grit and grime and death for me. But although these things do show up in the book, there's a lot of things that I would've changed. I really wanted to love this one, but it looks like I'm the black sheep this time.
"Scars are trophies in the Shallows. They show we know how to cheat death."
(ARC)
     Ok, so one thing I didn't like was the writing style. The word choice was cool, but the writing was more telling than showing. When  I read, I want to be sucked into the story. To be taken to the story and have it like I'm sitting in the room with the characters. But here, I just got the opposite. It was like somene was just sitting there reading to me in a monotone voice. Like I was just sitting there and barely listening. I would much rather have been immersed in the story.
"[...] the dead will still be dead. Nothing can ever chance that.."
(ARC)
     I hate that there's some people who have filed this under romance. Why you ask? Because there is none. Meadow and Zephyr fall for each other at the drop of a dime. When I say insta-love, it was definitely there. And what didn't make sense was the fact that you already loved her, but you hadn't really known she was real. Idk, I'm was just confused as to how he had already fell for her. And he tried to kill her, so why is it that you love him already? It just didn't make any sense to me.
"Everyone wants what isn't theirs to have."
(ARC)
     Now let's be honest, there's all types of cuss words out there that teens have heard and say. Whether it be in songs or tv or books. But this book features made up cuss words and at first it was funny, but as the book went on, it got a little bit annoying. Like if you're going to try and keep the cuss words out, try not to repeat them so much. I just don't think it should've showed up that much if you were going to try and keep it out of the book.
"[But] are they enemies if what they are doing is beyond their control?"
(ARC)
     But I will say that there was a bunch of action in this book. I also liked all the twists and turns that showed up. And when I say that, be prepared, there's a lot of them. So many different things will happen that will make your mouth drop. The plot is basically the best thing about this book.
"We're all good until we're not strong enough to be anymore."
(ARC)
     This wasn't what I was expecting, but I still liked it. Its definitely an interesting start to a new series and I can't wait to see how the rest of it will play out. Hopefully the things I didn't like will be fixed in the upcoming books!
Overall, I give this


     

Labels: , , , ,