Beyond the Book: Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae


This bookish feature is an original by me! I had the epiphany for this the other day when I was writing out my 15 bookish confessions. (See #7) A lot of times I like to go "beyond the book" and do something that will connect me with the book and characters a little more. It will pop up on Mondays! Be on the look out for which books caught my eye and made me go beyond just reading it!


     When  I started reading this book, I was not expecting to get lost in Italy like I did! From the places she went to the food she ate I learned so many things about this place! But I have to say, the number one thing I took from this story was the GELATO. I swear Pippa and Darren should've turned INTO gelato. And so I got interested. I'd never had gelato before so I started Googling images of it:

     And that was only one of the MANYYYYYYY I found that made my mouth water. So I decided that it was a must to go to Wal-Mart and give it a try. Soooooo, I did. AND OMG WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME TO EAT ALL THE GELATO A LONG TIME AGO?!

     I decided to try Breyer's Vanilla Caramel Gelato and let me tell you, greatest idea I've had in a long time. The reason I didn't want to try gelato was the fact that I'd never had it and I'm not a huge fan of trying new things. I thought it would taste like ice cream and I would never know that I was missing anything. But gelato is so much more creamier. And it really does taste different. And this specific one has caramel shavings on top with caramel sauce interlaced through it. It was soooooo good! 
     The point I'm trying to make is not to go out and buy this stuff. (Although you really should... It's AH-MAZING!) It's to say thank you to Kristin Rae for writing Wish You Were Italian and convincing me to step out of my comfort zone. I never would have tried it if it weren't for Pippa and Darren at the gelato shop sitting together and her taking that first bite that forced her eyes closed. Any book that can take me out of my comfort zone is a winner with me! 

Now if you haven't already, go out and buy this book AND some gelato! Trust me, you will NEED it lol 

Have you had gelato before?
What book made you get out of your comfort zone?

Have you ever had such a connection with a book that you had to go beyond just reading it? 
Join me on Mondays with Beyond the Book!  

Labels: ,