These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Megan Spooner

e-ARC, 384 pages
Release Date: December 10, 2013
Published by: Disney-Hyperion 
Starbound, #1
Source: NetGalley (A huge thank you to Disney-Hyperion and NetGalley for the chance to read and review this galley! I was given nothing in exchange for a just and honest review!)
For fans of: Sci-Fi, Romance, Sparkly Covers, YA

     It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.
     Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.
     Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?
     Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
     A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

       The moment I saw a blogger I trusted say "this is basically Titanic set in space," I knew that this would be easily something I loved. And of course it was. Throw in a little of the show Lost and that's pretty much exactly what it was.
     At the beginning you meet both the main characters. Tarver and Lilac. Lilac is rich and being with her cousins and friends changes her into a completely different person. Then there's Tarver. He knows that being anywhere near Lilac is dangerous for him. With him being no where near her social class, he's asking to be hurt. That is, until the unthinkable happens... The Icarus is taken down.
"'Funny how I was old enough by sixteen to drink, fight, and vote, but even two years later, I'm too young to respect."
2% (e-ARC)
     So many things happened in this book that left me with my mouth hanging open. I had so many assumptions, but as things began to unfold, I realized they were correct, but things were happening on a MUCH GRANDER scale. But even with it being predictable, I didn't mind at all. It was still such an enjoyable read that something that small was easy to look over.
"'...anger is a shield, and if I relinquish it, I'll shatter"
19% (e-ARC)
     Another thing I enjoyed was the readability. It was such an easy read. I was flying through the pages any and everywhere. For some reason I read this a lot faster than I read other books. It just sucked that I had so much to do the week I was reading it. I had to keep putting it down to take care of, well, LIFE.
"'You don't mention death when it's hovering near someone you love. You don't want to attract them reaper's attention."
26% (e-ARC)
     Now the romance between Tarver and Lilac was so real. They knew they couldn't be together towards the beginning because of their social class, but as things began to unfold, they both grew up so much. And with that growth, they saw how much they needed each other and their love just grew. I loved their slow build. It made their actual romance that much sweeter. And then there's a certain point where it will tear your heart into little itty bitty pieces. I'm just saying... Be prepared.
"'I live a life of utter privilege. I know that. I accept that." My voice cracks a little and I lick my lips. "But nothing's free."
67% (e-ARC)
     The one thing I didn't like was some of the events in the end. Some things were a bit confusing. So much so that I had to go back and re-read some things. After reading through them once more, I understood them, but having to read back through them took up some time.
     In short, for me to be not such a huge fan of sci-fi, I really enjoyed this one. From their survival to their romance, to all the twists and turns, I feel this one was a huge winner.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , ,