Ashes to Ashes by Melissa Walker

Kindle e-Book, 336 pages
Release Date: December 23, 2013
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Ashes, #1
Source: Own
For fans of: Paranormal, Romance, Ghosts, Sparkly Covers, YA

     A timeless and romantic ghost story that will haunt readers long after the last page is turned.
When Callie's life is cut short by a tragic accident in her hometown of Charleston, South Carolina, her spirit travels to another dimension called the Prism. Here she meets a striking and mysterious ghost named Thatcher, who guides her as she learns how to bring peace to those she left behind.      But Callie soon uncovers a dark secret about the spirit world: Some of the souls in it are angry, and they desperately want revenge. These souls are willing to do whatever it takes to stay on Earth, threatening the existence of everyone she ever cared about.
     This thoughtful and suspenseful novel is perfect for fans of Gayle Forman's If I Stay and Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     After seeing in another synopsis that this would be reminiscent of Ghost (the movie), I was really excited for this one. And upon further reading of that same synopsis, I saw that it was "perfect for fans of If I Stay by Gayle Forman" and I became really, REALLY excited for it. But unfortunately when I started reading it, I just couldn't get into it. This one was just a big disappoint for me.
     One reason I didn't like it was it just seemed to be way too young to be YA. I understand that she was dead, but really, your snarkiness just made it seem stupid. I quit laughing at what you were saying and just started rolling my eyes in the first 10%. It's really unfortunate because I don't remember her other novel being like that.
     But then there is the plot. I was really upset because I was looking for something completely different and this is not what I got. It was basically all about how she was so in love with her boyfriend from 1-7%, then how she died at 8%, and then 8-40% was just about the good and evil in the Prism. And it got boring rather quickly. I stopped at 40% and just skimmed the rest of the way. I just needed to know what it was that her boyfriend was keeping from her to see if my suspicions were correct, but that's all that I really cared about lol
     I think I'm most disappointed because I loved her first novel and I was expecting this to be more like the movie and book that I loved. I guess that's why you never trust anything that says "based on,' or "for fans of," or "like ______ meets _____." You're more than likely always going to end up disappointed smh
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , ,