The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

e-ARC, 496 pages
Release Date: May 14, 2013
Published by: HarperCollins
The School for Good and Evil, #1
Source: Edelweiss
Read in: April 2013
For fans of: Sparkly Covers, Middle Grade

     At the School for Good and Evil, failing your fairy tale is not an option.
     Welcome to the School for Good and Evil, where best friends Sophie and Agatha are about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime.
     With her glass slippers and devotion to good deeds, Sophie knows she'll earn top marks at the School for Good and join the ranks of past students like Cinderella, Rapunzel, and Snow White. Meanwhile, Agatha, with her shapeless black frocks and wicked black cat, seems a natural fit for the villains in the School for Evil.
     The two girls soon find their fortunes reversed—Sophie's dumped in the School for Evil to take Uglification, Death Curses, and Henchmen Training, while Agatha finds herself in the School for Good, thrust among handsome princes and fair maidens for classes in Princess Etiquette and Animal Communication.
     But what if the mistake is actually the first clue to discovering who Sophie and Agatha really are . . . ?
     The School for Good and Evil is an epic journey into a dazzling new world, where the only way out of a fairy tale is to live through one. (From Goodreads)

*MY THOUGHTS*
     This hurts me so much to say. Like really. I wanted to enjoy this one so much because the cover is gorgeous and the trailer was good too, but I just didn't. Maybe it would be better in Hardcover, or even a physical copy of the ARC, but most of the problem I had dealt with this book being confusing. 
     At first I really was liking it. But then it got a little boring. Then when the POVs started changing without warning I got confused. I had to keep going back and realizing that they did switch names. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had it been a real ARC. One thing I did like was the illustrations. As they came up on my Nook, I really thought they looked cool as digital drawings. I would love to see the finished copies. 
     But over time, I kept reading and it got a little boring. It wasn't that there wasn't anything happening, it just felt like the SAME THING kept happening. It felt a little redundant  Agatha wanted to get Sophie out of there but Sophie wanted to stay. Every time they went somewhere it happened over and over. So I thought I just wasn't in the mood for that type of story, so I put it down for a little and started on something else. And then I ended up finishing two books before picking this up again. So I just said forget it. I ended up skimming the rest of it and looking to see the big plot twist. 
     All in all, maybe this version just wasn't for me. I'll give it another try when the final version comes out. 
Overall, I give this 

*A copy of this e-galley was given to me in exchange for a just and fair review. Thanks goes out to the publisher and Edelweiss. 


Labels: , ,