Reboot by Amy Tintera

e-ARC, 352 pages
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Published by: HarperTeen
Reboot, #1
Source: Edelweiss*
Read in: April 2013
For fans of: post Apocalyptic, Zombies, Action, YA

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum. 
     The perfect soldier is done taking orders. (From Goodreads)

*MY THOUGHTS*
     This was one of my most anticipated of the year... I even featured it as one of my WoW posts. But I'm sad to say it fell flat for me after that. I'm not sure if the concept was entirely too simple for me or what, but it was not what I was expecting. 
     In the synopsis it says that Wren is dead for 178 minutes before she is revived and then she meets Callum who was only dead for 22 minutes. The longer you're dead the less human you are. So in other words, Wren is kind of barbaric compared to Callum. But still some how they fall in love. And their love is beautiful..... just not believable. She spends a lot of the time fighting him and things jst got weird.... I wish the time would have been spent else where. 
     Such as the plot and world building. Coming from an avid reader, I knew exactly where the plot was going. I called every "twist" as it came up. Then there was the world building. Coming from someone that lives in Texas, I was a little disappointed to see little to nothing dealing with it. 
     What I did like was the romance. I know this was a post apocalyptic novel with zombies and things, but it was still nice to see their romance blossom. It was a bit insta lovey, but still it kept my interest. Callum was sweet and the hard soldier Wren melted from his charm. Needless to say that was the really the only thing I enjoyed about it. 
     This isn't really one book that I would normally read, but the synopsis caught my eye and I wanted to give it a try. It wasn't really what I was expecting, but it still serves as a fast paced, exciting, intriguing read. I can't wait to see what happens with Wren next. 
Overall, I give this

*A copy of this e-galley was given to me in exchange for a just and fair review. Thanks goes out to the publisher and Edelweiss.

Labels: , , ,