Unremembered by Jessica Brody

ARC, 320 pages
Release Date: March 5, 2013
Published by: Farrar Straus Giroux
Series: Unremembered, #1
Source: Traded for
For fans of: Mystery, Romance, Thrillers, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Suspense, YA

     The only thing worse than forgetting her past... is remembering it.
     When Freedom Airlines flight 121 went down over the Pacific Ocean, no one ever expected to find survivors. Which is why the sixteen-year-old girl discovered floating among the wreckage—alive—is making headlines across the globe.
     Even more strange is that her body is miraculously unharmed and she has no memories of boarding the plane. She has no memories of her life before the crash. She has no memories period. No one knows how she survived. No one knows why she wasn’t on the passenger manifest. And no one can explain why her DNA and fingerprints can’t be found in a single database in the world.
     Crippled by a world she doesn’t know, plagued by abilities she doesn’t understand, and haunted by a looming threat she can’t remember, Seraphina struggles to piece together her forgotten past and discover who she really is. But with every clue only comes more questions. And she’s running out of time to answer them.
     Her only hope is a strangely alluring boy who claims to know her from before the crash. Who claims they were in love. But can she really trust him? And will he be able to protect her from the people who have been making her forget?
     From popular young adult author, Jessica Brody comes a mesmerizing and suspenseful new series, set in a world where science knows no boundaries, memories are manipulated, and true love can never be forgotten. (Goodreads)

*MY THOUGHTS*
     This was my first encounter with Brody's writing and I was thoroughly impressed. I was shocked as to why I had never picked up anything by her before. Unremembered is a mystery that had me on edge and I was begging by pg 110 to figure out what she really was and where she came from. 
     There is one lone survivor from the airplane crash from Freedom Flights 121. That one survivor was a 16 year old girl. No one knows where she came from or how she survived. Not even her. She has no idea where she is, who she is, or any details of her life before the crash. Including her name. 
     The biggest mystery throughout the whole novel is: Who (and what) is this girl? As it unraveled, it left me on edge and biting my fingernails. I was so enthralled in this mystery. And what I loved most about it, was the fact that I didn't guess what she was. I wasn't even close. What she was, was had way more thought in it than what I thought and I enjoyed that. 
     I also enjoyed that even though there was this huge secret throughout most of the book, when it was finally revealed, there wasn't an info dump. It even felt like some of the questions were unanswered towards the end. (Which is good since it set itself up for a sequel.) It gave just enough info at a time to keep me interested and to keep the plot running smoothly. 
     The characters were interesting to learn about. (Not including Sera.) Zen was amazing and so sweet. Gah I mean "S+Z=1609" *Swoon* I would give away why that was so important to me, but it would be spoiler-ific lol So, I'll just leave that alone. Then there's Cody. I hated him at first, but then he began to grow on me. After his little confession I understood where he got all the pent up anger and I was glad he let some of it go. 
     After reading this I still had so many questions running through my head. Like about Maxxer and more about Diotech. Brody sure knows how to keep her readers coming back for more! I can't wait to read the second installment in this gripping sci-fi mystery. 


Labels: , , , , , ,